THE CHURCH OF GOD (SEVENTH DAY) — a Short History
At the time of the Puritan migration to Massachusetts, there were seven (7) churches in London bearing the name "church of God"; members of these congregations settled in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and New Jersey between 1664 and 1800. Many drifted over to Michigan, then west and south, especially after the Revolution.
These people constituted a church of God that was Sabbatarian, observing the seventh day as the weekly holy Sabbath day of rest and worship. In 1860, these scattered people formed a state conference in Michigan. Then in 1863, these people began to publish a magazine called The Hope of Israel. By the year 1884, the work had spread to several states. Up until then, there was no umbrella organization which they served under and held them together. In October 1884, they met together and formed a "General Conference."
By the year 1888, the publishing of the magazine was moved to Stanberry, Missouri, and by that time the name was changed to Bible Advocate and Herald of the Coming Kingdom. The BA magazine was published at Stanberry for over 80 years, from mid-1888 through February 1972. In March 1972, the headquarters and the magazine were moved to Denver, Colorado, where the name was shortened to the Bible Advocate and where the conference headquarters and printing of the magazine still remain.
Fundamentalist doctrine and theology prevail here. The church believes in
We believe in preaching and teaching the whole Bible, both the Old Testament and New Testament.
Please enjoy sample photos of who we are.